Albert Chao, M.D., Assistant Professor of Clinical Plastic Surgery
Albert Chao, M.D
Assistant Professor of Surgery
915 Olentangy River Rd, Suite 2100
Columbus, OH 43212
- B.S., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2001, Biochemistry
- M.D., University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2005
- Residency: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Fellowship: Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- Appointment: 2011
- Specialty Interests: Cancer and trauma reconstruction, microsurgery, free flap (DIEP, TRAM, SIEA) and implant based breast reconstruction.
- Board Certified: Yes
Dr. Albert Chao's research interests primarily focus on clinical outcomes following reconstructive surgery. This includes study of the effect of newer multimodality cancer treatments on the approach (method, timing, patient selection) to oncologic reconstruction. In addition, he has interests in the role of technology in plastic surgery, such as novel imaging and monitoring devices, and how they may alter understanding of reconstructive concepts or enhance patient outcomes.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS): Member
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery (ASRM): Member
- Columbus Society of Plastic Surgery (CSPS): Member
- Chao AH, Gangopadhyay N, Tenenbaum MJ, Myckatyn TM. Ultrapulse carbon dioxide laser versus traditional deepithelialization in reduction mammoplasty and mastopexy: Clinical outcomes and cost analysis. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013 Aug 14.
- Khansa I, Chao AH, Taghizadeh M, Nagel T, Wang D, Tiwari P. A systematic approach to emergent breast free flap takeback: Clinical outcomes, algorithm, and review of the literature. Microsurgery. 2013 Aug 14.
- Chao AH, Meyerson J, Povoski SP, Kocak E. A review of devices used in the monitoring of microvascular free tissue transfers. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2013. 2013;10:649-660.
- Chao AH, Neimanis SA, Chang DW, Lewis VO, Hanasono MM. Reconstruction after Internal Hemipelvectomy: Outcomes and Reconstructive Algorithm. Ann Plastic Surg. 2013 Jul 29.
- Tung TH, Chao AH, Moore AM. Obturator nerve transfer for femoral nerve reconstruction: anatomic study and clinical application. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;130:1066-1074.
- Chao AH, Sturgis EM, Yu P, Skoracki RJ, Guadagnolo BA, Hanasono MM. Reconstructive Outcomes in Patients with Head and Neck Sarcoma. Head Neck. 2013;35:677-683.
- Nosrati N, Chao AH, Chang DW, Yu P. Lower extremity reconstruction with the anterolateral thigh flap. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2012;28:227-234.
- Chao AH, Chang DW, Shuaib SW, 4.Hanasono MM. The Effect of Neoadjuvant versus Adjuvant Irradiation on Microvascular Free Flap Reconstruction in Sarcoma Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;129:675-682.
- Chao AH, Yu P, Skoracki RJ, Demonte F, Hanasono MM. Microsurgical reconstruction of composite scalp and calvarial defects in patients with cancer: A 10-year experience. Head Neck. 2012;34:1759-1764.
- Wu LC, Djohan RS, Liu TS, Chao AH, Lohman RF, Song DH. Proximal vascular pedicle preservation for sartorius muscle flap transposition. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;117:253-258.
- Chao AH, Hanasono MM. Scalp and calvarial reconstruction. In: Hanasono MM, Robb GL, Skoracki RJ, Yu P. Reconstructive surgery of the head and neck. New York: Thieme Medical Publisher’s Inc. (In press)
- Chao AH, Miller MJ, Yu P. Omental and enteric flaps. In: Boyd JB, Jones NF. Operative microsurgery. New York: McGraw-Hill. (In press)
- Member, ASPS In-Service Examination Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, ASPS Curriculum Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, OSU Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital, Breast Infection Prevention Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, OSU Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital, Quality and Patient Safety Committee, 2013-2014
- Member, OSUWMC Quality and Patient Safety (Infection Prevention) Committee, 2013-2014
- Reviewer, Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2013-present
- Reviewer, Archives of Otolaryngology, 2013-present